Resumé Thijs van Vugt
Thijs van Vugt has been paertner & director at International Education & Development Solutions since 2006. He has over 25 years of experience in international education. He worked at Tilburg University in the Netherlands between 1989 and 2006 in various capacities, both at central and faculty level. He also worked for the ERASMUS Bureau in Brussels for 6 months in 1993-1994. In early 1995 he moved to Britain to work for Sheffield Hallam University for 18 months. In 1997 he became Head of the International Office of the Faculty of Economics and Business Administration at Tilburg University.
Thijs is the founder of the Professional Section on Marketing & Recruitment of the European Association for International Education (EAIE) and has been Chair of M&R from 2002 to 2008. From 2004 to 2008 he also was a member of EAIE's Executive Board. Thijs served on EAIE’s Conference Programme Committee in 2010 and 2011.
Between 2004 and 2013 Thijs has been course leader and trainer of numerous training courses and workshops on marketing and recruitment for EAIE, CIRIUS, DAAD, Archimedes, Education New Zealand and various universities, such as University of Amsterdam, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Utrecht University, Nyenrode Business University, Jönköping University, Tromso University and the UArctic.
Together with his business partner, René Lenssen, Thijs was partner & director of StudyWorld (Netherlands), the Netherlands leading student recruitment agency and one of two IELTS test centres in the Netherlands from 2006 until 2009, when it was sold to Kilroy Education.
From October 2008 until May 2011 Thijs was the Interim Head of Marketing, Communication and Admissions of the Institute for Housing and Urban Development Studies of Erasmus University Rotterdam. From September 2011 until January 2013 he was Head of Marketing for RNTC. Since July 2011 he is Senior Account Advisor University Value at StudyPortals BV.
Thijs has a Master’s degree in International Economics from Tilburg University, a post-graduate diploma in Public Management from TiasNimbas Business School, and a post-graduate certificate in Customer Relationship Management (CRM) from Beeckestijn Business School. Thijs is a member of the Register of CRM Professionals.
In September 2009, Thijs was awarded the Bo Gregersen Award for Best Practice of the EAIE.
Thijs van Vugt is a member of the Advisory Board of the European Studies programme of The Hague University (The Netherlands).
- Knasys, Mykolas & Thijs van Vugt, CRM Systems in Higher Education. The guide to selecting a CRM system for higher education institution, StudyPortals & iE&D Solutions, July 2015
- Doetjes, Michiel, Julian Longbottom & Thijs van Vugt, Number Crunching for Effective M&R, in EAIE Forum Winter 2013, December 2013
- Badde, Markus, Tim Rogers & Thijs van Vugt International Student Recruitment: the Role of Agents in the Competitive Market, in Handbook Internationalization of European Higher Education, July 2012, Raabe Academic Publishers, 2012
- Van Vugt, Thijs, Retaining not Replacing, in EAIE Forum, Summer 2010, July 2010
- Van Rooijen, Maurits, Arnold Persoon & Thijs van Vugt (ed.), Marketing your Institution Internationally, EAIE Professional Development Series, 2008
- Rogers, Tim & Thijs van Vugt, The Impact of Tuition Fees on International Student Recruitment, EAIE Occasional Paper 19, 2006
- Van Vugt, Thijs, Taking Learning to Greater Heights: Dutch Higher Education is Among the Best in The World, Gulf News Special Report: The Netherlands, Dubai, September 2006
- Huijbers, Pieter & Thijs van Vugt, Service Blue Printing for International Education, EAIE Forum, April 2006
- Van Vugt, Thijs, Why More International Postgraduate Students are Choosing to Study in the Netherlands, Top Grad School Guide 2005, QS, London 2004
- Rogers, Tim & Thijs van Vugt, Changing the European Map: Opportunities for Postgraduate Students Since Bologna, Top Grad School Guide 2004 & 2005, QS, London 2005
- Richards, Greg & Thijs van Vugt, Student Experiences of Study Abroad, in European Tourism and Leisure Education: Trends and Prospects (ed. Greg Richards), Tilburg University Press, 1995
- Richards, Greg & Thijs van Vugt, Toerisme- en Vrijetijdsonderwijs Europeaniseert, Recreatie & Toerisme, March 1995