Resumé Gudrun Paulsdottir
Gudrun Paulsdottir is an international strategist who has worked in international higher education for over 20 years. Her expertise covers most areas of internationalisation of higher education, internationalisation as a tool for university strategies, strategic planning and implementation, intercultural relations, university management and processes, and project management.
She was the President of the European Association for International Education, EAIE, between 2010 and 2012 and Vice President of the same organisation 2008-2010. She has held seats on the Executive Board, the Professional Development Committee, and the Conference Programme Committee.
During her 20 years at Maelardalen University in Sweden, she has held positions such as international strategist, international advisor to the Vice Chancellor, Director for the Division for Student Affairs, Director of the International Office, and as Head of Admission, Degrees and International Office, to name a few.
Gudrun has been an expert for the European Commission for a long time and also on occasion for the Nordic Council, the Swedish National Agency for Higher Education, and other international organisations.
Gudrun is an experienced project manager and has among others been the project manager for the reorganisation of Maelardalen University, when nine departments merged into four schools, including administrative and computer support systems and with a focus on creating a multidisciplinary organisation fit to face future challenges. She led the project for the introduction of tuition fees and managed the project for the establishment of Maelardalen International Master Academy, MIMA, an umbrella organisation for postgraduate education at the university. Gudrun was the project manager and coordinator of the establishment of Maelardalen University study programmes at Campus Telge, Soedertaelje, Sweden, including contacts and cooperation with municipality leaders and politicians, campus director, other education providers on campus, teachers and staff. Gudrun has also been both involved with and been the coordinator of projects within Erasmus Mundus, Tempus, and other European programmes.
Gudrun has extensive experience as a trainer in professional development courses, workshops, and seminars. She also teaches master’s level courses in education and research management.
Gudrun has a background in Comparative Literature and the French Language as well as in Law. And she can work in the following languages: English, French, Swedish and Icelandic.
- Industry-Academe, cooperation for Innovation, EAIE Forum, May 2014
- Global Education, a narrative, November 2013
- Possible Futures, shared foreword in EAIE 25th anniversary publication, September 2013
- Public Service Review: European Union: “Blurring the boundaries” September 2012
- Book review: Making a Difference: Australian International Education
Editors: Dorothy Davies and Bruce Mackintosh, April 2012
- IAU Horizons vol.17/3 and vol. 18/1, ”Do we need to define internationalisation”, Feb/March 2012
- Public Service Review: European Union: “Educate to elevate” issue 22, July 2011
- VISTA, Newsletter for Australian, International Education, Professionals, “The changing landscape of higher education in Sweden”, issue 38, June 2011
- Public Service Review: European Union: “Universities united – creating a global environment for higher education”, issue 21, spring 2011
- Exedra Journal Special Issue; “European perspectives on internationalisation of higher education: Sharing policies and good practices”, 2010
Key notes and presentations
- Global environment of international higher education, strategies and tools for internationalisation, Lutsk, Ukraine, Nov. 2014, key note speaker
- Trends and strategies for internationalisation, Forum for Universities of Applied Science, Vilnius, Lithuania, Nov 2013, key note speaker
- Strategisk internationalisering, Umeå University, Sweden, Aug. 2013, key note speaker
- Internationalisation at home, EFMD workshop, Brussels, Belgium, June 2013, workshop speaker
Current trends in internationalisation, EFMD workshop, Brussels, Belgium, June 2013, workshop speaker
- Internationalisation of higher education, a strategic approach, AECHE conference, Barcelona, Spain, May 2013, speaker
- Strategisk internationalisering, Swedish Foreign Office, Västerås, Sweden, May 2013, key note speaker
- Trends in internationalisation, International week, Jönköping University, Jönköping, Sweden, May 2013, key note speaker
- Europe as a study Destination, Forum for Education Abroad conference, Dublin, Ireland, December 2012, key note speaker
- Linking higher education to innovation, Compostela Group annual meeting, Oulo, Finland, September 2012, key note speaker
- Redressing the asymmetries in international cooperation, EAIE conference, Dublin, Ireland, September 2012, session speaker
- Fraud in international higher education, EAIE conference, Dublin, Ireland, September 2012, session speaker
- European opportunities in the changing world of international education, 40th anniversary of Hochschule Darmstadt, Darmstadt, Germany, June 2012, key note speaker
- How can associations for internationalisation contribute to international development, Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Rome, Italy, June 2012, speaker
- Europe – a common space in higher education, CAIE conference, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, April 2012, session speaker
- Tuning; the new global platform for and in international education and educational innovation, CAIE conference, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, April 2012, session speaker
- Structuring universities for effective teaching and learning, IECHE conference, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, April 2012, speaker
- Student wellbeing, EU-Australia policy dialogue, Brussels, Belgium, March 2012, speaker
European cooperation for quality, Going Global conference, London, UK, March 2012, session speaker
- International cooperation the European way, International conference, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan, March 2012, key note speaker
- Internationalisation of higher education – why and for whom? International conference, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan, March 2012, key note speaker
- Cooperation in and with Europe, International Private Education Week, Moscow, Russia, March 2012, speaker
- Hot topic session, Europe, AIEA conference, Washington DC, USA, February 2012, session speaker
- Key drivers for internationalisation, MODERN workshop, Brussels, Belgium, January 2012, workshop speaker
- U-Multirank, rankings the European way, AIEC conference, Adelaide, Australia, October/November 2011, session speaker
- Europe in focus, AIEC conference, Adelaide, Australia, October/November 2011, session speaker
Comprehensive internationalisation – What is going on in Europe? EAIE conference, Copenhagen, Denmark, September 2011
- EU2020, what does it mean for universities, NAFSA conference, Vancouver, Canada, May 2011, session speaker
- European internationalisation, NAFSA conference, Vancouver, Canada, May 2011, session speaker
- Modernising European higher education for performance and attractiveness, European Journalist Centre, Florence, Italy, May 2011, speaker
- Internationalisation of higher education – new players, new approaches, IAU conference, New Delhi, India, April 2011, speaker
- Internationalisation, Welingkar Institute of Management Development and Research, Mumbai, India, March 2011
- EU2020 – A European strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth, APAIE conference, Taipei, Taiwan, March 2011, session speaker
- Hot topics and global trends in Europe, AIEA conference, San Francisco, USA, February 2011, session speaker
- Students or kids; What are we talking about? AIEA conference, San Francisco, USA, February 2011, session speaker
- Bologna and global impacts, AIEA conference, San Francisco, USA, February 2011, workshop leader and speaker
- Get ready – go global, International week Inholland University, Rotterdam, The Netherlands, February 2011, key note speaker